Enrique’s Journey was one of the books most commonly selected for 2015-2016 freshman common reads, according to a survey by Inside Higher Education.
- Download the Random House Teaching Guide geared to the Common Core.
- PUENTE Teaching Guide with activities geared toward analyzing values and themes in Enrique’s Journey to help students gain a deeper understanding of immigration today.
- East Carolina University teaching guide for their common read of Enrique’s Journey gives a history and facts about immigration to the U.S. and North Carolina, emphasizing issues around citizenship, controversies over immigration policy, and the global economic context.
- University of Wisconsin, Madison had more than 12,000 students read Enrique’s Journey for their ‘Go Big Read’ common book, and it was a huge success. Read about it here. View their suggested discussion questions.
- Lit Chart for Enrique’s Journey good for teachers and readers. Full PDF available and interactive chart lists key themes and detailed analysis for each chapter of the book .
- University of New Mexico Center for Teacher Excellence Handout from 2015 Lobo Reading Integration Workshop and Enrique’s Journey Themes and Resources put together by by Dr. Kimberly Gauderman.
- Sam Houston State University’s Curriculum Activities for areas of study like the arts, business, criminal justice, education and more.
- Mount St. Joseph University’s Student Guide with information about the book and author, book reviews, and resources regarding immigration issues.
- Northern Arizona University Freshman Read: Response by NAU student to reader’s guide discussion questions.
- Southwestern College Teaching Guide with essay prompts and classroom activities for various fields of study.
- North Seattle Community College’s discussion prompt for students and faculty.
- Suggested Essays & Content from Melanie McBride, Rosemont College.
- Powerpoint used for Mining Books at the University of Texas El Paso, 2015.
- Digital Storytelling Videos made by Catawba Valley Community College students.
- Crossword Puzzles created by Professor Joseph Ebiware at Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts:
Enrique’s Journey Crossword: Ch. 1 – 4 (PDF document)
Enrique’s Journey Crossword: Ch. 5 – Epilogue (PDF document)